I generally agree with Julius, I've been doing all my development on a
G1 (equivalent to the ADP1) and it's served me very well. IMHO, the G1/
ADP1 is the "reference hardware" for Android at the current time.

On Nov 13, 8:30 am, Julius Spencer <jul...@msa.co.nz> wrote:

> I have found the G1 pretty good. I have written apps which combine
> sensors (acceleration, orientation), GPS, 3D graphics and some maths.
> It would be nice if the processor were faster, but generally it's
> great.

I would suggest that a slower CPU is *better* for a dev phone; a
faster CPU is more likely to mask performance problems in your code.
If your app runs well on a G1, it'll run great on any newer, faster
processors. The converse is not necessarily true, and given that this
is one of the main reasons for testing on real hardware (the emulators
do not give a true indication of performance), it's an important
issue.

> The main issue I have is getting the Wifi to work consistently, but
> this seems to be the same with the Hero so perhaps this is not
> hardware related. Also this hasn't affected development.

Haven't had this experience with my own G1, nor have I particularly
heard about it in the community, so I might respectfully suggest it's
just an issue with Julius' unit.

> I haven't read anything yet saying the G1 will not run 2.0.

Now, this *is* a red flag, IMHO. There's been no official word, of
course, but the numbers look iffy... see
http://androidandme.com/2009/10/news/g1-owners-could-miss-out-on-android-2-0/
for one appraisal. It's not the final answer, but it casts enough
doubt that I would seriously hesitate before buying a G1/ADP1 at this
stage. If I were in your shoes, Nathan, I think I'd try to hold off
buying anything until 2.0 is released at large and it's clear which
devices will and won't run it.

String