> If I were in your shoes, Nathan, I think I'd try to hold off
> buying anything until 2.0 is released at large and it's clear which
> devices will and won't run it.

I see the wisdom in that. I can get by with emulators.

At this time, Dev2 is at the top of my list - if it runs 2.0

 Buying an unlocked Motorola droid is also a possibility. Advantage is
lots of features, disadvantage that the performance might mask app
inefficiencies.

Also, I don't have enough experience to know what it's like using a
retail phone for development - are there big disadvantages compared to
a dev phone? Perhaps I could only use it for 2.0 and above.