I've been trying (and failing) to write an intent filter which will
allow my app to handle "text/calendar" attachments received in the
GMail or email apps

I don't really know if my failure is because the mail apps are just
not looking for apps to handle these attachments, or if I am getting
the intent filter wrong.

And I realise that the MIME types I see in sample intent filters are
always vnd.android.something, not regular text/something types, which
makes me wonder if intent filters just don't work on anything that
doesn't have a provider.

So, what's the story ? Here's my current attempt:

<intent-filter>
                <action android:name="android.intent.action.VIEW" />
                <action android:name="android.intent.action.EDIT" />
                <action android:name="android.intent.action.PICK" />
                <category
android:name="android.intent.category.DEFAULT" />
                <category
android:name="android.intent.category.ALTERNATIVE" />
                <data android:mimeType="text/calendar" />
</intent-filter>

Thanks,

Richard