I'm not clear what you mean by:

>  I am not going down the path
> to try to figure out how an app that implements pinch-and-zoom on the
> app level will fare when same functionality is also implemented on the
> platform level. Could work out of the box, could be ugly.

I mean, Multi-touch is fully implemented and available in the platform since
2.0. Google's applications (browser, gallery, maps) don't use it, but any
other applications wishing to use it can do so.

The issue in this thread was that it is possible to simulate it on all but
one [known] Android device from 1.0 though 1.6. As I said above, our
software uses a different code path on 2.0 and later devices, so there are
no ill side effects when placed on new devices.

Scott
SoftwareForMe.com