Ah, this provides a lot more context -- but not all of it!

Normally, this sort of thing is handled through DHCP or similar. I
don't know if you have access to the server providing the information
-- are you the carrier?

To change the DNS resolution policies in any way, will require root
access, and have global impact. Do you own these devices? Or are you
developing an app for public consumption?

The one (nearly) sure-fire way to do this, is to query the DNS server
yourself, in the application. The "(nearly)" is because firewalls can
intervene.

I would urge you to avoid any sort of temporary change to the global
DNS resolution. It's one thing if you have control over the device and
pre-configure it for the users. But temporary changes to DNS
configuration has a way of going bad when events happen in other than
the expected order. And if you get two applications trying to impose
THEIR will on an entire platform, it's a formula for chaos.

I don't know how DNS resolution is configured on Android, but this may
be useful:

# getprop | grep dns
[net.change]: [net.dnschange]
[net.dnschange]: [878]
[dhcp.eth0.dns1]: []
[dhcp.eth0.dns2]: []
[dhcp.eth0.dns3]: []
[dhcp.eth0.dns4]: []
[net.dns1]: [10.177.0.34]
[net.rmnet0.dns1]: [10.177.0.34]
[net.rmnet0.dns2]: [10.165.17.242]
[net.dns1.161]: [10.177.0.34]
[net.dns2.161]: [10.165.17.242]
[net.dns2]: [10.165.17.242]
[net.dns1.79]: [10.177.0.34]
[net.dns2.79]: [10.165.17.242]
[net.dns1.31939]: []
[net.dns2.31939]: []
#

If you're connected via wifi, the "dhcp.eth0.dns*" entries are filled
in instead; the above is with Wifi disabled.

Still -- and I don't know the 3GPP protocols here, but if they're not
deviating too much from how things were designed, any old DNS server
should be able to supply you with the information. The DNS server you
contact will, based on the domain requested, contact the appropriate
DNS server and obtain the information, cache it, and relay it to the
requester.

Perhaps this is not suitable for this for some reason, but if so,
realize the reason it's hard is because "3GPP is doing it wrong" --
that is, using tools in ways they weren't intended. Maybe it's all
worthwhile; I don't know, I'm just trying to give you helpful context
and info, not technical judgments.

Fun historical fact: In 39 days (March 15), it will be the 25th
anniversary of the very first DNS registration, Symbolics.com. (The
domain name was recently purchased). I worked at Symbolics from
1981-1987, so it's an occasion I remember well.