Frank, could this be the little snag I just encountered in replying to
RustingInSeattle? Where it doesn't catch RuntimeExceptions thrown from
the low level (or maybe any level), unless there's an exact match of
class?

Can you try your scenario again, this time once you identify the
exception class being thrown, set a breakpoint on that specific class,
and repeat?

I'm not sure exactly where the bug here would lie -- I don't think the
ADT plugin supplies anything, so I think it would be on the Android/
SDK side.

It's annoying, sure enough. Probably a bit less so if we know it's
there, but it would be a real pain for difficult-to-reproduce bugs.

Still, getting at the original stack trace, once it's finally printed
somewhere, should get you back to your code. If something silently
swallows that exception (retry code, perhaps), of course you're out of
luck.