Thanks for the jdwpspy suggestion; I'll collect some more data when I
get a chance. Debugging-the-debugger is just my cup of tea, though
normally I have the sources at hand. (Grabbing the full Android
sources is on my to-do list).

However, your test case isn't one that I would expect to reproduce.
Instead of "throw new ArithmeticException()", which isn't really any
different from cases I know to work, try the OP's case:

        int b = 0;
        int a = 1/b; //ArithmeticException

That's when I observed the problem. My theory is that it is specific
to handling of low-level arithmetic, rather than the normal user-code
throw. Just a theory, but more plausible than the idea that the bug is
more pervasive.

(Of course, the "observer error" explanation is still on the table, as
always).

BTW, a documentation suggestion: Most of the stuff in the Dalvik
Debugger Support document you pointed me at is only going to be of
interest to geeks like me, but some of it is helpful for anyone trying
to debug -- the synchronized method handling, the merging of return
instructions, performance differences, etc. And one I noticed (and
expected) but don't see documented, though it touches on a special
case of it: variables can disappear as you step in the code, when
their values will never be used againn. From register optimization, I
expect.

I think a brief article with the highlights -- including points like
the debug protocol being debugger-agnostic -- would be a good addition
to the developer documentation. Perhaps extend the "Debugging Tasks"
article a bit.