The long qualifier is for something "significantly longer" than the original
standard HVGA screen, nothing more than that.

Absolutely positively do not use the old raw screen size qualifiers; this
simply do no work, and you can pretty much assume that you will not get what
you want in some specific device configurations.

Honestly, resource qualifiers are just not the level at which to work for
"oh there might be 50 more pixels available for me to put an extra row of
buttons."   I think you would be better of designing a single layout the
gracefully adjusts when there is less space.  You may want to write your own
layout manager for doing that kind of logic (we don't really have a layout
manager that can do "include this view if there is space" stuff), but that's
not hard to do.