If you want to see what your app looks like with QVGA (and appears in the
Market for QVGA users) get a Tattoo. I strongly recommend developing on a
low-end phone. If it works on that, it's all a bonus thereafter. Tattoo is
currently on 1.6.

To test (relatively) low RAM, and 1.6, get a G1.

To test handsets still in the wild with 1.5, get a Hero. This will also help
you test against Sense UI (HTC proprietary extensions). There are tons of
Heros out there, and they have their own radio quirks so this is a useful
phone to have.

For the 2.*, slightly flaky radio (in my experience) and Motorola extensions
get a Droid.

For the LG extensions you could also get a GW620 but these are pretty rare.
The LG handsets also have low RAM.

For high res screens and 2.* there is of course the beautiful Nexus One.

Re. versions of course you can flash anything onto anything but there is no
substitute for the actual binaries consumers are using.

This chart is a very useful resource:

http://www.androphones.com/all-android-phones.php

Jim