I have still not seen an acceptable solution for in-app purchasing,
and I was hoping for an official response from Google.

This has been discussed in other threads, but there is still no good
solution.
http://groups.google.com/group/android-developers/browse_thread/thread/bfe16bac7144b7d5/f93d3510b8c96903

Collecting a fee to unlock functionality or to buy virtual items is
not a technical problem. It is straightforward.

However, the Market Agreement severely limits developers' ability to
collect such a fee. It says all fees collected for the app must go
through the Market payment processor.

http://www.android.com/us/developer-distribution-agreement.html

Buying another app from the Market seems the only clearly acceptable
solution. But that is not ideal. It perverts the definition of an
"app" and causes problems because of the refund policy.

Google, how are developers supposed to handle this situation? Or is
your intention that we simply not do this?

While lawyers may quarrel over the actual document, what is your
intent as it pertains to buying virtual items? For example, charging
$1 real money for 10 in-game gold?

What if only the front end of the game is distributed on the market,
and the features of the front end (the app) do not change with
additional fees? This may be splitting hairs but that's what happens
with legal documents, I suppose.

So what is the intention of the Market Agreement here? Did you intend
to prevent buying virtual items or not?

I would appreciate some clarification so I can proceed knowing the
spirit of the law, so to speak.

Thank you