Great thread.  I happen to agree with both sides of this argument. While I
like the idea of several of the current native/java game engines maybe
collaborating, coming up with some sort of presentation on why it's prudent
for Android to have a much more solid "game capable" api/sdk, I also think
that Google/Android has sort of said "Yes, apple/iPhone, we'll take you on,
and maybe beat you at your game". There has been tons of articles showing
how android will surpass iPhone in a couple years. Yet, I forget the
percentage now, but I thought it was some 35% of the iPhone market is
games.. and there has to be a decent population for audio apps. That's a
pretty good sized market and to ignore that would to me be a potential death
sentence for Android. Maybe not... just my gut. I think most teens/young
twenties and a lot of us older adults that grew up with games look at
platforms like Nintendo DS, PSP, and then compare to our droid/nexus,
iPhones, etc and realize we have a much more capable bit of hardware in our
single device.. why not make it a game/audio app/utility
app/phone/calendar/internet tool all in one. iPhone is already clearly
taking a chunk of Nintendo DS sales.. they say so themselves. Android
devices like the Droid, Nexus, and many new phones coming out have 600+mhz
cpus, lots of memory, etc.. they easily are more powrful than hand held game
devices and we know that even before iPhone/Android that crappy mobile games
on J2ME were huge all over the world. So while I don't know if it should
fall squarely on google to build some robust gaming kit like XNA, I do think
they should invest heavily right now, for a 3.0 release within the next
year, that gives us a JIT, a lot more native access to things like audio
hardware for low latency, and find a way to curb some of the potential GC
issues many threads have brought up. I think right now, within this year, is
the time that google has to really flesh out a solid much improved Android
3.0 that can compete on most levels with iPhone and keep in mind iPhone 4.0
due out in a few months will add multi-tasking (dying to see how they do
this without breaking existing apps and how they are coded), more features,
etc. I think in many many ways Android is a lot better than iPhone or
anything MS will put out.

At the very least, I think it would be great for Google/Android team to
figure out IF they are planning on doing anything close to the above... and
let us developers know. I know many developers have said, and I too am
waiting to see a much improved audio capability so that apps like iPhone
BeatMaker and such can come out. Likewise this impacts game developers,
along with other variables that many developers are quite clearly saying is
impacting them on being able to build better games. The screen touch issue
that is causing massive lag on input and slowing games down greatly, and the
buggy multi-touch capabilities... all of these things need to be wrapped up
into a 3.0, or a 2.5, 2.6 etc in the coming year so that developers get a
few months or longer to make use of them and put out some really good games,
music apps and such by mid 2011. Not that it will be game over, but I would
think that this is important enough to developers that google/android team
should listen and perhaps keep the developers posted on up coming changes to
the platform. Is there any site that covers what is being worked on right
now? Is there any info that we can read about, maybe provide some input on,
that might be coming up in 2.2, 2.3, 2.5, 3.0, etc? I mean, if 3.0 is just
getting started, perhaps nows the time to solicit the developers that will
write apps for the platform and keep it alive for ideas and what is most
important that they need to want to keep writing for Android.

Just my .02.