In the US: Careful with Section 1706, which is a powerful tool that
the IRS uses to reclassify you as an employee. Over years, plus
punitive penalties, this can add up to six figure amounts. Remember
the guy that flew his plane into a building a couple months ago?
BTW, in Germany, possibly other countries, similar provisions exist.
You may want to look into getting an employer of reference that gives
you a W-2, runs billing and accounts payable, etc. in case this gets
serious. I've lined one up a few years ago, but in the end never had
to contract through them. At any rate, they shouldn't take more than
15% off the top for their services (IMO, and that's probably high) and
give you an itemized breakdown showing employer tax, social security,
their fee etc. when you ask for a quote. I sorted the scammers out
that way...
As far as rates go; with experience, in a developed country, you'll be
asking in the range of what the others stated. I wouldn't bother with
less than $50/h, even if you're inexperienced and it's on the side,
with expenses such as health insurance, social security and so forth
covered through your dayjob. And consider, you're boss needs to be
cool with this (which can be a major issue). I believe we had a guy
here on the list a few years ago who worked for a contract shop in
India cranking out J2ME code who got into Android development and got
canned when his boss got wind of it