Let me point out that the code that I posted doesn't delete without
user confirmation. It just takes the user to the system's "delete this
application" screen under "Manage applications", where they can choose
to delete or not.

I don't know of a standard way to delete an application without user
confirmation! Even if you can do it, I'm not sure you wouldn't screw
up the package manager, so I wouldn't recommend it.

That's on top of your user-experience reason, which is the main reason
to do it this way, if at all.