I did think of another option - simply build against 2.0 or 2.1, and
then tell the manifest that the application will run on 1.5.
Application logic can figure out if CDMA is supported or not... I'm
going to try that first.

On Mar 30, 2:37 pm, Mark Murphy <mmur...@commonsware.com> wrote:

> Or you can target API level 4 and either support both CDMA/GSM or have
> the appropriate <uses-feature> element to stipulate that you only
> support GSM. This eliminates the problem entirely, with the side effect
> of dropping support for those devices presently on Android 1.5.

Great idea, and you just said it ... .I can't drop support for 1.5.  I
have to support what's being sold by the carriers.  It just so happens
my application spec requires me to get tower information from the
phone, which is API dependent.  I can't get CDMA data from a phone
that runs 1.5.

> > Also, I want to know where the conformance documentation on Android
> > devices gets stored, and if they're public?
>
> FCC conformance is public but has nothing to do with Android API levels.

Not speaking about FCC conformance,. but API conformance ....

> I'm not sure it's a "sign off on" so much as Google tests the devices
> and withholds Android Market support if, in Google's estimation, the
> device will inadequately support third-party applications. Certainly, we
> have at least one documented report of that structure (the QVGA 1.5
> device from last summer), and I have not seen a "sign off on" approach
> described by the core Android team.
>

> If you have evidence of such a "sign off" model in use, please point me
> to it -- thanks!

All carriers have a documentation trail where someone "signs off" that
each feature of a phone conforms to a specific API specification.
It's a long shot to ask, but what the heck ...
I doubt carriers will release it - so we have to rely on the published
open source code that OEMs publish.  HTC and Samsung have their code
available.