Hi,

Just do document it here (as suggested by evancharlton on freenode
#android-dev), so it's googlable:

On my Debian Lenny x86_64 machine, both the eclipse plugin and the
ddms standalone application were unable to connect to the adb daemon.
"adb devices" showed both the emulator and my milestone, so that
connection was okay.

ddms and eclipse both kept spitting out the following messages every
second:

57:29 E/DeviceMonitor: Connection attempts: 1
57:30 E/DeviceMonitor: Connection attempts: 2
57:31 E/DeviceMonitor: Connection attempts: 3
57:32 E/DeviceMonitor: Connection attempts: 4
57:33 E/DeviceMonitor: Connection attempts: 5
57:34 E/DeviceMonitor: Connection attempts: 6
57:35 E/DeviceMonitor: Connection attempts: 7
57:36 E/DeviceMonitor: Connection attempts: 8
57:37 E/DeviceMonitor: Connection attempts: 9
57:38 E/DeviceMonitor: Connection attempts: 10
[...]

I tried this for 5 minutes and longer without any connection.

I tried all the usual workarounds, including "adb reset" in eclipse,
"adb kill-server" from command line, and rebooting, and asked on the
abovementioned IRC channel.

After hours of trying and googling, I suspected it to be an IPv6
problem, as I found some reports some IPv6 problems under Windows.
However, editing /etc/hosts in analogy to the windows solution did not
solve my problem.

Some tries and googling later, I found the solution: Adding the jvm
argument -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true to both the ddms shell script
and the eclipse.ini vm arguments solved the problem for eclipse and
ddms.

I hope this helps others to solve this problem, which annoyed me for
more than 6 hours now when trying to get sdk_r05 to run, and an equal
amount of time when I had my first try using sdk_r04 some weeks ago.
My hope was that r05 fixes that problem, which is not really true, it
seems.

HTH,
Markus