Sure, Google would be the last stop.
I checked  HTC first; no direct sales there, apparently they only sell
through their channels. So next stop is T-Mobile. I could only find
the consumer offering.
So it seems we will have to wait until the promised $399 arrangement
becomes available.

** If anyone can identify a legitimate source of unlocked and open HTC
Dream's, please post **

Again - if developers cannot acquire test equipment void of the
consumer contractual terms, we are relegated to consumer "deals" which
drive development cost through the roof. This sure is small fries
business, but it is what it is.

BTW, last time I checked, there's a few people out on at least one
online shopping and auction site trying to peddle their pre-ordered
devices. None are of the desirable unlocked variety, of course. Not
sure how they envision the contractual obligations are being
transferred over to the buyer. So beware, looks like a scam to me.