On Monday, April 16, 2012 11:45:10 PM UTC-4, Alan Halls wrote:

> Not having ever done a mobile app myself, I don’t have the right answers
> to the questions and so am going to others in the industry like you guys to
> see if I am getting ripped off or if the developer knows things I don’t and
> it justified.

The important thing to consider is that while getting something "basically"
working for demo purposes may be fast and therefore cheap, getting it
really reliably working in all cases and then maintaining it on a varied
and moving-target set of platforms is actually quite a bit of work.

The low (/free or add supported) pricing of apps tends to initially
distract from the fact that doing them right still requires sound and
diligent software engineering practices.  The kinds of price estimates that
may seem steep in the mobile world would be entirely normal (if not low) in
a mature software field or when considering the cost of the amount of time
someone in-house is likely to spend on a project/product.

Without digging into the details of your requirement, if what you want to
do does not seriously conflict with the platform design or involve building
complex capabilities from scratch you can probably find someone to get you
a demo for less than that - but if you are serious about launching and
maintaining a product, you will probably end up spending even more than you
have been quoted.