You have to include the following line in your product makefile.

$(call inherit-product, packages/services/Car/car_product/build/car.mk)

This will include all of the default (emulated) services and demo
applications.

You'll probably also need to set SELinux to permissive in your
BoardConfig.mk in order to get started.

BOARD_KERNEL_CMDLINE += androidboot.selinux=permissive

Then follow the instructions here to add an SELinux domain for the vehicle
hardware service.
https://source.android.com/security/selinux/device-policy#label_new_services_and_address_denials
Don't forget to modify the file_context.

That should be enough to get going.
I can't remember with 100% certainty, but I believe the car.mk file will
copy the service.rc file to the device for you.
If the service isn't starting, make sure it's there.