OPENOFFICE.ORG NEWSLETTER

Volume 05 - Issue 12 - 06/2008

Please send news clippings to:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Contents

1. Announcements
================
* PDF import extension is now online
* OpenOffice.org Annual Conference Update
* OpenOffice 2.4.1 is released
* Addition of Japanese language support to its Users' Community Forum

2. Success Stories
==================
* OpenOffice.org being distributed to Portuguese schools
* Polish retailer selling laptops with OpenOffice.org pre-installed
* French hospital migrates to OpenOffice.org
* Millions of copies of OpenOffice.org distributed by Asustek

3. Featured News
================
* Munich released template management software as Open Source
* OpenOffice with OpenJDK
* Link to get templates and dictionaries online

4. Tips & Tricks
================
* New article about the OpenOffice.org mail merge feature
* Video showing the new PDF import feature for OpenOffice.org
* Ten fantastic keyboard shortcuts in OpenOffice.org

5. ODF News
===========
* ODFXSLTRunner - a new tool in the ODF Toolkit project
* 'ODF has clearly won,' says Microsoft exec
* Microsoft Invites to ODF Workshop in Redmond
* [EMAIL PROTECTED] - How it works

Want to help OpenOffice.org? Find out hot to contribute or see our
To Do List!!

http://contributing.openoffice.org/index.html
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/To-Dos/index.html

Kudos to Erwin Tenhumberg!
##########################
"Erwin the initiator and author of this newsletter has left Sun !
This is a big loss but we are trying to create this Newsletter in the
same quality as you know from Erwin"

http://blogs.sun.com/dancer/entry/leaving_sun_and_going_to

Announcements

PDF import extension is now online
==================================
"The PDF Import extension allows you to import and modify PDF documents
in OpenOffice.org Draw and export it to the Open Document Format (ODF).
We keep the layout of imported PDF document as close as possible to the
original document. This version supports PDF documents up to version 1.4.
Import of PDF documents with restricted permissions is not yet possible,
this feature will be available in later versions. You can install this
extension via the extension manager in the tools menu of OpenOffice.org.
You need at least OpenOffice.org 3.0 beta or later to install this
extension. You will find the extension at the OpenOffice.org
extension repository. "

http://blogs.sun.com/GullFOSS/entry/pdf_import_extension_is_now

OpenOffice.org Annual Conference Update
=======================================
"Potential speakers: there is still time to submit your proposals for a
paper at OOoCon 2008. Following a replan by the organisers, you now have
until 18th July to submit your proposal.
See http://marketing.openoffice.org/ooocon2008/cfp

Finally, the organisers are now actively seeking sponsors for the
conference. If your organisation, company, public administration, etc
would like to show its support for OOo in a very public way, now is your
opportunity.
Please see http://marketing.openoffice.org/ooocon2008/sponsors.html for
further details."

http://www.openoffice.org/servlets/ReadMsg?list=announce&msgNo=363

OpenOffice 2.4.1 is released
============================
"Full details of the changes may be found in the release notes
http://development.openoffice.org/releases/2.4.1rc2.html. For details
of security vulnerabilities fixed, please see our security bulletin
http://www.openoffice.org/security/bulletin.html. To our knowledge, none
of these vulnerabilities has been exploited; however, in accordance with
industry best practice, we recommend all users upgrade to 2.4.1."

http://www.openoffice.org/servlets/ReadMsg?list=announce&msgNo=364

Addition of Japanese language support to its Users' Community Forum
"The OpenOffice.org® Community is pleased to announce the addition of
Japanese language support to its Users' Community Forum. This web-based
Community Forum brings experts and users together to provide support to
users of OpenOffice.org, the free alternative to Microsoft Office. The
Forum is free to users and is free of advertisements."

http://www.openoffice.org/servlets/ReadMsg?list=announce&msgNo=365

Success Stories

OpenOffice.org being distributed to Portuguese schools
"I was just made aware of this Portuguese blog entry. CDs including
OpenOffice.org will be distributed to Portuguese schools again."

http://blogs.sun.com/dancer/entry/openoffice_org_being_distributed_to

Polish retailer selling laptops with OpenOffice.org pre-installed
"I just received a link to this Polish offer. A Polish store similar to
Walmart is selling a laptop with Kubuntu and OpenOffice.org
pre-installed. Cool! I guess this means even more OpenOffice.org and
ODF users!"

http://blogs.sun.com/dancer/entry/polish_walmart_selling_laptops_with

French hospital migrates to OpenOffice.org
"According to this French article, the French hospital of Thiers is
migrating its 150 desktops to OpenOffice.org in order to spend money
on training instead of licenses."

http://blogs.sun.com/dancer/entry/french_hospital_migrates_to_openoffice

Millions of copies of OpenOffice.org distributed by Asustek
"I just read this article, and found the following statement
particularly interesting:
"The company, which had previously estimated that it would sell
5 million Eee PCs this year, forecasts low-cost PC sales are set to
hit 20-30 million units globally in 2009, Asustek's Chief Executive
Jerry Shen told reporters."
Considering that the Eee PCs ship with either OpenOffice.org, StarOffice
or StarSuite, these are great news! Last month there were close to
7 Million downloads of OpenOffice.org (not counting Linux distros,
magazine CDs, etc.), but having major hardware vendors like Asustek
shipping Millions of laptops with OpenOffice.org pre-installed is
definitely even more helpful from an OpenOffice.org market share and
ODF adoption point of view."

http://blogs.sun.com/dancer/entry/millions_of_copies_of_openoffice

Acer laptop with OpenOffice.org pre-installed
Cool! The "Acer Aspire one" is yet another mainstream laptop that comes
with OpenOffice.org pre-installed:
"The Aspire one series comes preinstalled with Linpus™ Linux® Lite
version or Windows XP® Home. Additional software such as OpenOffice 2.3,
one Mail, Messenger, Acer eRecovery Management, Acer Launch Manager,
Adobe® Reader®, McAfee® Internet Security Suite, Microsoft® Office
Trial 2007 are also installed5."

http://blogs.sun.com/dancer/entry/acer_laptop_with_openoffice_org

Sharjah school adopts OpenOffice.org
====================================
"Sharjah-based SIA chose a number of freely available open-source
programs - including OpenOffice and the Solaris 10 operating system -
to run on top of its new thin clients and servers from Sun Microsystems,
which it finished installing last year. ... SIA has installed sixteen
thin clients in its student labs, with an option to increase to
70 clients in the future. The implementation includes two Sun servers
running Solaris 10 and serving virtual instances of Windows XP to the
thin clients via VMware."

http://www.itp.net/news/520872-sharjah-school-dumps-high-cost-software-for-open-source-applications

Featured News

Munich released template management software as Open Source
"As can be read in this German article, the City of Munich just released
their template management software for OpenOffice.org as Open Source
under the European Union Public License (EUPL). It's great to see
that government organizations start to embrace the open source
development model!"

http://blogs.sun.com/dancer/entry/munich_released_template_management_software

OpenOffice.org with OpenJDK
===========================
"OpenJDK is the open source variant of JDK. With the Child Workspace
openjdk6b the adaptation for OpenJDK came into the DEV300 codeline.
So builds can also be done with OpenJDK now. I checked the build on
Windows, Linux 32-bit, Linux 64-bit, Solaris Sparc and Solaris Intel.
So feel free to use it."

http://blogs.sun.com/GullFOSS/entry/openoffice_with_openjdk

Link to get templates and dictionaries online
"With one of the latest Developer snapshots (DEV300_m17) of
OpenOffice.org we got new links for Dictionaries and Templates to
the Extensions Website.

Dictionaries provided as extensions will be able to use the online
update mechanism so that an update of dictionaries will be much more
easy in the future. Author will be able to update their dictionaries
independent from the OpenOffice.org release schedule so that
OpenOffice.org user will take advantage of new versions of
dictionaries much faster than before. The integration of
dictionaries with a license incompatible to the OpenOffice.org
(can't be bundled with OpenOffice.org) will then also more easy."

http://blogs.sun.com/GullFOSS/entry/link_to_get_templates_and

¡
Tips & Tricks

New article about the OpenOffice.org mail merge feature
"The office where I am network administrator switched most users to
OpenOffice.org (OOo) back at version 1.1, and has followed the upgrade
process to the current version 2.3 (a few poor users who have to exchange
documents outside the office with high fidelity are still clinging to
their MS Office 97). Our receptionist does a lot of general secretarial
duties, including lots of letters, envelopes, and labels that involve
mail merge. Since this seems to be a sticking point for many people,
I am putting everything I have learned from helping her and have gleaned
from various sources on the Internet together in this tutorial."

http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/articles/mail_merge_openoffice_org

Video showing the new PDF import feature for OpenOffice.org
"I just created a short video in which I demo the new Sun PDF Import
Extension (beta) for OpenOffice.org. Don't expect a perfect screencast!
It's just a quick hack. It was more of an experiment! It was interesting
for me to realize that I started to "stutter" and to have my brain
"go blank" the more the longer I played with the screencast software.
I'm sorry that I can't offer more / different video formats right now!
Anyway, I think the video should still give a good impression of the
new PDF import feature. Have fun!"

http://blogs.sun.com/dancer/entry/video_showing_the_new_pdf

Ten fantastic keyboard shortcuts in OpenOffice.org
"A lot of software users I meet seem to feel they are not using their
software as efficiently as they could. If that includes you, then listen
up. Here is my list of the ten, lesser-known, OpenOffice.org Writer
keyboard shortcuts that will help you improve your productivity."

http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/columns/ten_fantastic_keyboard_shortcuts_openoffice_org

ODF News

ODFXSLTRunner - a new tool in the ODF Toolkit project
"I would like to announce the availability of a new tool called
“odfxsltrunner” as part of the ODF Toolkit project. “odfxsltrunner” is
a small Java command line tools that allows you to apply an XSLT
stylesheet to an ODF document without extracting the streams like
content.xml from the ODF package, and without having to update the
ODF packages files with the result of the transformation.

By default, “odfxsltrunner” takes a style sheet and an ODF document as
input, applies the stylesheet to the content.xml, and either prints the
result on standard output, or stores it in a new file which is a copy
of the input file, but where the content.xml is replaced with the result
of the transformation. “odfxsltrunner” has a couple of options that
modify this behavior. The “-i” option for instance allows you to take
a plain XML file as input. This is useful if you want to create a
content.xml from scratch that shall be added to an existing template
ODF file. The opposite is also possible. The “-o” option can be used
to store the result of the transformation in a plain file rather than
an ODF package file. This is useful if the result is let's say HTML.
Some more options do exist, including of cause one that allows to
use a different stream than content.xml as source of the transformation.
A detailed explanation of all options can be found in the Wiki.
This page also explains where to get “odfxsltrunner”, and how to
build and run it."

http://blogs.sun.com/GullFOSS/entry/odfxsltrunner_a_new_tool_in

'ODF has clearly won,' says Microsoft exec
"Stuart McKee, Microsoft's national technology officer, stated that
"ODF has clearly won," acknowledging that the monopolist will start
supporting ODF natively in Microsoft Office next year. He also sounded
almost apologetic about not supporting ODF sooner, saying "We couldn't
[implement ODF] during the release of Office 2007. We're looking
forward and committed to doing more than translators."

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/06/20/odf-clearly-won-microsoft-exec

Microsoft Invites to ODF Workshop in Redmond
Microsoft is inviting to an ODF Workshop in Redmond. Maybe this
invitation has something to do with Microsoft's public "ODF has
clearly won" statement at a recent event. Thus, if Microsoft has
to support ODF in their products due to market demand, what ISV
can still ignore supporting ODF?

http://blogs.sun.com/dancer/entry/microsoft_invites_to_odf_workshop

[EMAIL PROTECTED] - How it works
======================
"While demoing the ODF Wiki to OpenOffice.org and Sun Folks[..], I
recognized different reactions of people, there were the ones
who obviously use Wikis in their daily work and who immediately
understood what I wanted to show, namely the possibility of an
ODF based Wiki with rich editing capabilities (including graphics,
formulas etc.), than there were the ones who seemed to be disappointed,
as I just recombined already available stuff, and finally the ones,
whose first thought was about how I did implement this. So, this
posting is just for the people curious about how it works :-)"

http://blogs.sun.com/GullFOSS/entry/odf_www_how_it_works

Newsletter Archive

http://www.openoffice.org/servlets/SummarizeList?listName=announce

Contact Information (regarding this newsletter)