----- Original Message -----
From: Karen Lee Wald <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, November 27, 2001 6:15 PM
Subject: Ashcroft says "Sue me"...in effect

 U.S. brings charges against 650 since Sept. 11

 WASHINGTON, Nov 27 (Reuters) - Federal criminal charges have been brought
 against more than 100 individuals, and nearly 550 people remain in custody
 on immigration charges as part of the investigation into the Sept. 11
 attacks, U.S. Attorney General John Ashcroft said on Tuesday.

 At a news conference to provide updated numbers on the breakdown of those
in
 custody, Ashcroft said an unspecified number of those being held were
 "suspected terrorists" and some were members of Osama bin Laden's al Qaeda
 network.

 "We believe we have al Qaeda membership in custody and we will use every
 constitutional tool to keep suspected terrorists locked up," he said
without
 giving any details.

 The new figures represented a more precise breakdown since the last numbers
 on Nov. 5, when there had been a total of 1,182 people arrested on federal,
 state or local charges, detained for immigration violations or held as
 material witnesses.

 Of the 104 facing federal charges, 55 were in custody, Ashcroft said,
adding
 the Justice Department had been investigating to find those responsible for
 the attacks by hijacked planes on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon
 that killed several thousand people.

 "Through dozens of warnings to law enforcement, a delicate and a deliberate
 campaign of terrorist disruption, tighter security around potential
targets,
 with arrests and detentions, we have avoided further major terrorist
 attacks," he said.

 Ashcroft has been criticized by civil liberties groups for some of the
 tactics employed. He said he was aware of the criticism but that there had
 yet to be a single lawsuit filed charging violations of anyone's civil
 rights.

 16:28 11-27-01

 Courtesy of:

The Law Office of Jose Pertierra