http://www.irna.com/en/world/021002165059.ewo.shtml

Berlin refuses comment on US official urging Schroeder
to quit

Berlin, Oct 2, IRNA (Iran) -- The German government
here Wednesday refused to comment on statements by a
top US official, urging the resignation of German
Chancellor Gerhard Schroeder for his steadfast refusal
to back a US attack on Iraq.

"I don't think I should evaluate the remarks," deputy
government spokeswoman Charima Reinhardt told IRNA,
referring to the latest statements by senior Pentagon
advisor Richard Perle.
"It would be the best thing if he (Schroeder)
retires," said Perle in an interview with the economic
daily Handelsblatt.
Perle added that Schroeder's anti-American rhetoric
during his reelection campaign had 'severely damaged'
US-German relations.
Schroeder has repeatedly ruled out German
participation in a US assault on Iraq, even with a UN
mandate.
The US official also said Germany's efforts to gain a
permanent seat on the United Nations Security Council
have been 'set back for a whole generation'.

Perle's controversial comments came amid intense
diplomatic efforts by Berlin to ease tensions with
Washington after German Justice Minister Herta
Dauebler-Gmelin compared the policies of US
President George W. Bush to those of Nazi dictator
Adolf Hitler.

http://sbc.yahoo.com