>Your analysis seems spot-on to me.  I just thought this would be a quick
>hack to see if the tcl scripts are the culprit.  Even starting multiple
>threads at starting, you'll still take a hit if you have to crank up
>another thread during the life of the process.  I'm just trying to get a
>handle on likely avenues of attack for solutions.  Starting up a thread
>should be more heavyweight than forking a CGI, so I'm trying to get a
>handle on whether thread startup is heavy, and how, if at all, it can be
>mitigated.

I don't know how big an interp is, and I assume that anything that takes 3
seconds to init must be fairly large.  But if they are reasonably smallish
(though timeconsuming to init) you could precreate more interps than
threads, and then when new threads are created they will not have to under
go the interp start up penalty.

Jerry

Jerry Asher                      [EMAIL PROTECTED]
1678 Shattuck Avenue Suite 161   Tel: (510) 549-2980
Berkeley, CA 94709               Fax: (877) 311-8688