I was travelling yesterday, plus we are still fighting a few fires
since the 3.4 upgrade.  To answer some of the questions/suggestions
people have posted:

1. Yes, I'm sure we're running 7.6 TCL.  I ran into a few problems
with 8.X because we (intentionally) use poorly-constructed lists
in a couple of places and 8.X complains while 7.6 doesn't.  Second,
I didn't want to deal with the character set issues right now - sounds
like a mess.  Third, 7.6 is faster than 8.X in the limited testing
I've done, even in CPU-bound loops.  I'm assuming this is because
ns_shares are more efficient in 7.6, but not sure.  Here's the test
I did:

2. The server that is growing is a special-purpose server.  Over 90%
of all requests are one of two kinds, which should make tracking down
the cause a lot easier.  This server may do a lot of execs in some
cases, which is why I asked about that.  Our main server, with a large
variety of pages, seems to be doing fine memory-wise.  (And hasn't
crashed - YAY!)  The special server does around 750K hits/day.

3. We have monitoring tools that complain if a server takes longer
than 10 seconds to respond to a request.  It has been complaining
about this same server.  I remember when I ran benchmarks with some
version of AS that it would periodically "go to sleep" for several
seconds with the CPU idle.  I need to go back and see if I can
duplicate that behavior because I think we are seeing it in production.

4. We don't have adp even configured, but I'll check out the fastpath
stuff for memory usage.  We don't serve any static pages and very
few graphics from AS.  Here's an interesting stat: around 80% of
our graphics hits are for a group of less than 20 files.  (Not 80%
of the graphics data transfers mind you, but 80% of the hits)

5. In one of my posts I said this server is not accumulating data in
ns_shares, but didn't mean that it doesn't use them at all.  All of
our servers use ns_shares - alot.  What I meant was that we are not
doing anything that would explain why the server would start out with
81MB with the ns_shares loaded, then grow to 240MB.  We do create
new ns_share array entries while it's running, but not to this extent.
We don't use nsv's - IMO that programming model is broken because
regular TCL constructs can't be used on nsv's.

Overall, I'd have to say I'm real happy with the upgrade from 2.3.3.
3.4 is more stable and the fact that we now have the source for the
server we are running is a HUGE deal.  Running 2.3.3 was pretty
scary business-wise, especially when AOL bought Netscape and the
future of AS seemed a bit in doubt.

Footnote: is anyone (or most people) using zippy?  I still haven't
tried that.

Jim

> Harry Moreau wrote: > > Personally, I'm heartened to hear other
people see leaks > > Yea, me too!  I have several systems where nsd
3.2+ad12 will slowly ...  > janine >