> On 4/18/02 10:49 AM, "Jim Wilcoxson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > This test is a
> > 10-15 line TCL loop to read through a file containing around 500K lines,
> > do 3-4 string operations, set an ns_share array entry
>
> Can you try the same test with an nsv instead of an ns_share?

Yeah, although we have 100K+ lines of TCL code with ns_shares.  It
wouldn't matter much whether nsv's were 100x faster - it isn't a
worthwhile risk for examining and changing that many lines of code.
On top of that, nsv is a broken programming paradigm IMO: source
changes are required for every variable reference, which is a total
PITA.

I understand it was easier to implement shares this way; that doesn't
mean it is necessarily better, esp considering the history of ns_shares
and their use as true TCL variables.

Jim