Scott,

I'll disclaim that I don't have direct ColdFusion experience, but assuming
that your developers are using the current CF runtime, and knowing that
the current CF Runtime is a J2EE container, I'm not sure how much good
news there is for you.  Both AOLserver and J2EE containers use a threading
model, and have database connection pools available, so AOLserver's usual
advantage is nullified here.  Back in the 2.3.3 days, AOLserver would have
commanded far less memory than other servers with embedded languages, but
because of the way AOLserver has handled Tcl initialization since 3.0,
AOLserver thread startup is actually quite heavyweight (either Jim W or
Dan S had horror stories about threads requiring many seconds to startup
because of the time required to initialize large amounts of Tcl code in
the libraries and modules). ADPs would normally be a good rapid
development tool with quick turnaround, but JSP offers very similar
functionality.  On top of that, nobody has any friendly AOLserver/Tcl/ADP
front-end design tools, whereas CF was an environment built around the
idea.  Depending on the complexity of your application, it's entirely
possible that the developers can get it going faster, and can deploy it on
comparable resources, and with comparable performance if they use CF
rather than AOLserver.  It is very hard to compete against an app
development environment like CF with it's front-end when we don't have
even a Dreamweaver behavior that makes life easier, and if you don't do
anything like I suggested recently regarding conditional and repeated
content, it's really hard to do dynamic page development in anything other
than a text editor.  Again, from an ease-of-use standpoint, AOLserver has
a hard time competing with CF.

Now, if the app tests the boundaries of CF, you start to get a fighting
chance with AOLserver, because AOLserver has finer-grained APIs, and you
can adapt an AOLserver to fit your problem, where, with CF, you'll end up
doing more fitting your problem to CF.  The problem remains, though, that
the CF environment is fairly rich, and unless you're going to OpenACS,
AOLserver lacks a lot of the richness (and even with OpenACS, you still
don't get friendly development tools -- I don't consider emacs a friendly
development tool).

If you're going to just try to have a shootout between AOLserver and CF, I
think you're going to lose, unless you can mold it to the problem, and
show how AOLserver can adapt better and quicker to your problem.

Pete.