On Fri, Oct 07, 2005 at 06:39:43PM +0200, Jean-Fabrice RABAUTE wrote:

> AOLServer was not compiled with debugging symbol (not tcl...).
> If it can help I can recompile both with debugging symbols so I can have
> more info on the next crash.

Yes, that would be a good idea.  In fact, with gcc, AFAIK you should
ALWAYS compile EVERYTHING with -g.  For some bizarre reason the Tcl
(and therefore also AOLserver) build process obnoxiously defaults to
"-O2 rather than "-g -O2".  I build Tcl from source like so:

Dwnload the latest stable Tcl release (currently 8.4.11):

  http://tcl.sourceforge.net/

Then untar it into /tmp/tcl/ and build it like so:

$ umask 002
$ cd /tmp/tcl/unix
$ ./configure --enable-threads --enable-symbols --enable-gcc --enable-shared
# Edit Makefile now - see below.
$ make
$ make test
# Files with failing tests: http.test httpold.test
$ sudo make install
$ sudo chmod 755 /usr/local/bin/tclsh8.4
$ sudo chmod 644 /usr/local/lib/libtclstub*.a

Edit the Makefile: Just like AOLserver 4, Tcl's configure script is
dumb and turns off all optimization when it turns on -g. To fix that,
simply manually Makefile changing both plain "-g" and "-O" to "-g -O",
like so:

CFLAGS_DEBUG    = -g -O
CFLAGS_OPTIMIZE = -g -O

On some systems the Tcl configure script picks -O, on others it picks
-O2. I just use whatever level of optimization it decided on, but turn
on both debugging and optimization in both flavors of CFLAGS.

--
Andrew Piskorski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://www.piskorski.com/