To begin, let's not say I'm a fan of debuggers, nor am I an enemy of test cases. I think they both have their place. I don't think that avoiding an available tool is a necessarily a good idea.

Further, your claim below is somewhat silly, I think, unless you think that all large projects, AOLServer included, is overly complex and requires refactoring. I would suggest that it's strictly impossible to make a complete set of test cases for AOLServer as a software project. At best you can trail behind the found bugs, making test cases for each of them, and avoiding them cropping up again, and make a set of tests that test the *basic* functionality of the API commands.. If you don't think this is true then man do I ever have a bet I'd like to propose. I know that you're talking about the need for a debugger to debug web applications, which you probably consider less complex than a project like AOLServer, and I do too for the most part, but even web apps and the like can get too large and complex to rely on test cases and ns_log alone.

Rusty