Hi, Michael,

I haven't tested nsopenssl with a wildcard SSL cert but I'm assuming it'll work as I don't think there's anything special that needs to be done in OpenSSL. The keystore capability you're talking about is simply a container to manage keys and certs -- it doesn't provide any special security, though you can (I think) have a password on the keystore as a whole as well as the normal individual passphrases on the private keys stored within it.

Private keys for certs on web servers are a problem. If you leave the passphrase on the key on the cert, you either have to store the passphrase in plain text in a startup script or someone has to manually type it in at web server start time. Insecure or inconvenient. Even in a keystore, the keystore password must be available somehow in order for the web server to access and use the key and certificate.

So what you need to figure out is how Apache or IIS are able to access the group's key and certificate from the keystore so it can be used. I'll bet the passphrase(s) are stored in plain text somewhere and if that's the case, then you may as well export them from the keystore, strip the key of its passphrase and use them in their regular file format. I've only ever used keys and certs in their normal file format because it's less opaque and because the keys and certificates rarely change.

Let me know how you get on, especially if you have any problems with wildcard certs or if I'm mistaken about keystore capabilities.

/s.