Hi Shawn,

I added TLSv1.3 to the default protocols in [1]. There is an open issue
for Mina [2] that describes timeouts when using v1.3, please see my
comment there. When used in Studio I didn't encounter any issue in tests
against OpenLDAP or 389ds, only when using it in ApacheDS, so I assumed
it's only a server-side problem. But your observations proves that my
assumption was wrong.

Which Java version are you using? I ask because I only tested with Java
11 and 17-ea, but not with Java 8.

Otherwise I think you aren't doing anything wrong. Either continue with
your workaround, or we need to revert that change in the LDAP API until
the problem is fixed in Mina.

Kind Regards,
Stefan

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DIRAPI-375