I am a customer of pyo orchards, not a grower.  But I've picked at a lot of
places, some allow climbing, some allow (and provide) ladders, and some
that provide picking poles - just a long pole with a sack at the end.

Climbing is wonderful for children, but in addition to the liability issues
it's bad for your trees.  (It pains me to say that, as I've called around
specifically to find places that allow it, but it's true.)  Ladders are a
bit of a nuisance to carry around, and it ends up feeling more like work.
I suggest you provide poles, which work pretty well, are easy to carry, and
probably won't increase your liability much (if at all).

Oh, and I work in insurance.  'falling from height' claims can be very
expensive, because they can involve serious but non-fatal head and spinal
cord injuries.  That can cost more than a fatality.
___
Ginda