Sent: Thursday, July 10, 2008 11:59 AM
Subject: RE: Apple-Crop: ladders in pick your own

Tommy,

In our pick-you-own operation (in Michigan) the question of ladders or not was answered by our insurance carrier with an emphatic, “no!”  It wasn’t a question of paying a higher premium but rather one of having insurance coverage at all; it wouldn’t insure the exposure.  And it was a major agricultural insurer with a strong commercial lines base.  A PYO customer could be injured from climbing a tree and yet be covered by insurance, but once the ladder was in the orchard and offered as an inducement to climb the coverage terminated.  We didn’t really argue with the carrier because we weren’t that thrilled to have ladders in the orchard anyway and it made for an easy reason to keep them out.  The trees were medium-sized and free-standing and occasionally a youngster or two would climb onto the main scaffold limbs, but all-in-all we had very few problems with climbers.  Check carefully with your insurance carrier to be sure you know the extent of your coverage.

Ronald L. Gaskill, Director

Congressional Relations for International Trade

American Farm Bureau Federation®

600 Maryland Ave., SW; Suite 1000W

Washington, D.C.  20024

Tel: (202) 406-3674     Fax: (202) 406-3604

Cell: (202) 213-0179    E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]