From: apple-crop@virtualorchard.net [mailto:apple-c...@virtualorchard.net]
On Behalf Of Claude Jolicoeur
Sent: Monday, December 06, 2010 10:44 AM
To: Apple-Crop
Subject: Re: Apple-Crop: Mystery disease?

A 22:41 10.12.05 -0500, vous avez écrit :

I suspect that the apple tree that bears these fruit is infected with the
dapple apple/scar skin viroid.
<<<<

Thank you very much Dave and Jean-Marc.
The informations you have provided are very informative and useful. In
addition, I have found some pictures of this disease on the internet and
unfortunately I have to agree with your diagnosis.

I say unfortunately because from what I can see, there is no other issue
than destruction of the affected tree. There doesn't seem to be any cure!
And there is a risk of this viroid to spread to the rest of the orchard - a
risk I am not ready to take!

This seems to be a pretty exotic and rare disease. I probably have
introduced it when I grafted some Wealthy apple on this seedling root in
1986. The source tree was obviously infected.

To Jean-Marc, I also found a "fiche descriptive" en francais from the INRA
here:
http://www-intranet.angers.inra.fr/dossiers/virus/fichvir4.html
where the first picture corresponds to the damage I can see on my tree.
Also, the second picture on page 2 of the CTIFL document is very similar to
my problem.

Thanks for the help.

Claude Jolicoeur
Orchardist and cider maker
Zone 4, Quebec

Apple-Crop is not moderated. Therefore, the statements do not represent
"official" opinions and the Virtual Orchard takes no responsibility for
the content.