" I don't think that the foul odors in apple storages have any impact on fruit
quality."

My observations are contrary to this - I buy/evaluate grocery store apples
regularly, and find that off flavor that I believe comes from nasty storages to
be the most common quality deficiency. Customers are getting apples stored in
cardboard in bad air, not a way to drive consumption. I find this across the
spectrum of food stores, from high end to discount.

I'd agree that apples lose some of the taint as they set in fresh air, but is
this something we want/need/expect the consumer to do?

If I were a big time marketer, I'd see an opportunity to sell high end
'clean-air certified' or somesuch fruit....

David