I store apples in modified 6-gallon milk crates, and have noticed that the foul
odor develops during our 5-month storage
period. It is the same odor that I recall having smelled from fruit in wooden
crates at Cornell's storages (Ithaca) in the 1960's.
        Our storage has never held wooden crates, and the walls have no exposed
wood except for a few laminated posts supporting the walls. However, we use
home-made wooden pallets, 2"x4" douglas fir on 4"x4" pressure-treated pine, to
support each 10-crate unit. Use of plastic containers in itself does not
eliminate the odor problem. I don't know whether
they would smell bad if no wood at all were in the room.  The odor does
disappear with airing.

David Kollas
Kollas Orchard,
Tolland, CT