Lee-
We used to germinate thousands of apple seeds each year to use in our replant
disease soil bioassays.  Our protocol was to collect the seeds from apples that
had been in cold storage for a month or so; rinse them in a 10% clorox
solution; then dust them with captan or a similar fungicide; then line them out
in trays of moist peat moss or vermiculite.  We could germinate several hundred
seeds per 12 by 24 inch tray, planting them about 1 inch deep in parallel seed
lines about 2 inches apart.  After several months in a 40 degree F refrigerator
the healthy seeds would germinate and sprout.  We would transplant them into 4
inch pots with soft tweezers, when they had 2 to 4 true leaves (not counting
the cotyledons). You could also group the resultant seedlings by their probable
chill unit requirements, assuming that those germinating first had lower chill
requirements.  Hope this is helpful!

By the way Lee, those cider apple trees that I got from you on Bud.9 rootstocks
about 20 years ago are all still growing and producing well in my home orchard!
 Several of them (Kingston Black, Stoke’s Red, Magog Redstreak, White Jersey,
etc.) have provided a lot of useful budwood for local nurseries to propagate
those varieties, which has been a great help to craft cider-makers.  Thanks!
Cheers
Ian
Ian & Jackie Merwin
Black Diamond Farm, LLC
4675 East Seneca Road
Trumansburg, NY, USA, 14886
E-mail:  i...@cornell.edu<mailto:i...@cornell.edu>
Website:  www.incredapple.com<http://www.incredapple.com>

On Jan 05, 2015, at 11:27 AM, lee elliott