Hi, I’m late in this exchange, but my grain of salt…

First, I entirely agree with Dave… except for this:

would argue that strep is still the cheapest, most effective, and most proven
product for controlling blossom blight, and I see no reason to use other
products except where strep resistance has been documented or is suspected due
to failure of well-timed strep sprays.

In many markets, use of antibiotics is illegal or questioned. I have a good
number of growers happy to see real alternatives to strep such as blossom
protect.

In fact, alternating with biologicals or with oxytet may actually be
counter-productive because they may allow more bacteria to survive, thereby
leaving larger populations to be controlled by strep and/or allowing some
infections to become established and thus carry the disease through until the
next year.

At the end of the day, when a number of trials give results “at par” with
strep, I don’t see how we can argue that ‘more bacteria survive’

Vincent Philion, agr., M.Sc.
Microbiologiste/Phytopathologiste (pomiculture)

Institut de recherche et de développement en agro-environnement
Research and Development Institute for the Agri-Environment

www.irda.qc.ca<http://www.irda.qc.ca>

Centre de recherche
335, Rang des Vingt-Cinq Est
Saint-Bruno-de-Montarville (Québec)  J3V 0G7

vincent.phil...@irda.qc.ca<mailto:vincent.phil...@irda.qc.ca>

Bureau: 450 653-7368 poste 350
Cellulaire: 514-623-8275
Skype: VENTURIA
Télécopie: 450 653-1927

Verger expérimental
330, Rang des vingt-cinq Est
Saint-Bruno-de-Montarville (Québec)  J3V 4P6
Téléphone et télécopieur : 450 653-8375
Local pesticide: 450-653-7608