I used a flamer just last week… on a pre-plant vegetable/small grain research
project. 8 foot wide behind the tractor. Method is called a stale seed bed.

Have seen several fruit tree flamers in use in North Central Washington in the
1990s.
My recollections:
All were one big nozzle mounted on the front of the tractor with a trailered
propane tank.
All the tractors had melted front end plastic body parts, not from escaped
fires but from prolonged heat.
The flamers wouldn’t damage plastic irrigation components at all but would melt
plastic tree guards.
The flamers worked excellent on broadleaf weeds, annual grasses so-so,
perennial  grasses barely.
After a couple years of use the in row vegetation evolved into 100% perennial
grasses, in the case here, quack grass.
Organic growers had to resort to in row tillage eventually.
I personally could see using a flamer in combination with tillage as an viable
in row weed control alternative.

Bill Fleming
Montana State University
Western Ag Research Center