Hi,

Debian ncurses maintainer here, bringing the ncurses upstream developer
into the loop.

On 2023-12-06 22:28 -0700, Antonio Russo wrote:

> Package: aptitude
> Version: 0.8.13-5
> Severity: normal
>
> Dear maintainer,
>
> If I run aptitude inside xterm, and click on an aptitude TUI element (say, a
> particular
> package), that package will be selected.  If, instead, I am running aptitude
> inside tmux,
> and I click on said element, it appears many garbage characters are sent to
> aptitude,
> including probably m and M, (the symptom is the automatic install state of
> packages changes).
>
> If I manually set TERM=xterm inside the tmux window, everything works.
> Alternatively, outside
> of tmux, if I set TERM=tmux-256color I get the same bad behavior in aptitude.
>
> If I downgrade all ncurses packages to 6.4+20231016, I don't get this
> behavior.

The culprit is the addition of xterm+sm+1006 (xterm SGR-mouse) to the
tmux/tmux-256color terminfo entries in the ncurses 20231028 patchlevel.
In addition to aptitude, mouse support is also broken in dialog(1) under
tmux.

> Maybe this bug should instead be assigned to ncurses?

Probably should be reassigned to ncurses-base, but let's first see what
Thomas has to say about it.

Cheers,
       Sven