L.D wrote:

L.D, this is NOT correct! ;-)

>I don't know who this guy is, but DOS doesn't set TEMP at all ... let
>alone to an "OS install directory."

Wrong, the installation of MS-DOS do this! It makes a c:\autoexec.bat that
contains (ammong other things) "set temp=c:\dos"

>If that were true, you wouldn't have been getting the complaints over
>the last few years that they can't do this or that, and the response
>must always be "Set TEMP=existing_directory_of_choice" in your
>autoexec.bat file."

You have obviously missunderstood, temp isn't set then it will not be set
by MS-DOS to c:\dos - but when you INSTALL MS-DOS it will set it to c:\dos

>    THERE IS NO DEFAULT MS-DOS SETTING FOR TEMP.  The user must SET in
>autoexec or other batch file or at prompt.

Yes there is. As long as the user doesn't change "set temp=c:\dos" it will
point there.

>Michael, why don't you have Arachne check to see if TEMP is even SET?

This is already done.

>If Arachne can't simply check for the value of the variable, it is
>easy enough to create a file using command set>filename   Then
>core.exe could scan for temp setting in file??

Or use getenv("TEMP") like Arachne already does :)

>Anyone stupid enough to set TEMP to C:\DOS deserves to get wiped out,
>but you could build in a "idiot remover" by scanning to see if
>temp=c:\dos and resetting temp=

The problem here is that if we change this to what the reality is you say:

Anyone stupid enough to not learn how to change TEMP from C:\DOS deserves
to get wiped out,

How can people be aware that Arachne would do this? IMHO the problem *IS*
with Arachne, not with the default MS-DOS setting (the setting made by the
installation - which is the default until you change it).

>As to Arachne deleting everything in the TEMP file ... my response is SO
>DAMN WHAT!!  We're talking DOS, here.  All decent DOS programs clean up
>behind themselves so temp directory shouldn't contain anything other
>than stuff from current program being used.

Exactly, the key phrase here is "behind themselves" - not removing someone
elses stuff. If Arachne was the only program ever run on the PC then we
wouldn't have any problem but most (I would actually assume all) people do
use other programs from time to time.
//Bernie
http://bernie.arachne.cz/ DOS programs, Star Wars ...