At 11:16 AM 4/4/2002 +0530, you wrote:
Hence it is very difficult for me to
>understand how people can believe Efficient Markets Hypothesis especially
>when its assumptions are so flawed ( rational people, no information
>asymmetry !).
>
>I am never able to understand why there is so still so much heat generated
>to this day. I have a counter point. Can somebody first prove that the
>assumptions behind efficient markets hypothesis are true ? That today's man
>is no longer driven by greed and fear and is rational (at least when it
>comes to investing !!) ? That actually everybody knows as much about
>companies and no one has an information edge  ? If this cant be proved  how
>would a theory built on these foundations be true ?

Not everyone in an efficient market need be rational or informed -- just
enough to spot and arbitrage transitory mispricing -- a point I made in my
last post. There has actually been experimental evidence that a budget
constraint is sufficient to generate rational pricing in a market with
irrational participants. Unfortunately, I don't recall the citation.

Also, few actually believe in "strong form" market efficiency where even
inside information is priced in an unbiased manner (although rational
expectations could induce unbiased expectations about hidden inside
information!). Aside from that, what information asymmetries are you
talking about? Again, not everyone in the market needs to be equally
informed to obtain rational equilibrium prices.

Now I will be so controversial as to invoke Milton Friedman's
instrumentalist methodology, which asserts that the realism of assumptions
is of secondary importance compared with the predictive power of the
theory. In other words, the proof is in the empirical pudding. And when the
scientific method is applied, the jury is out, as I asserted in my last post.

Finally, I must express much dismay at the willingness of list members to
assert pervasive irrationality -- presumably implying that the
(neoclassical) economics paradigm, founded on the assumption of rational
choice is not an appropriate way of viewing the world. After all, this
listserve is named after a delightful book which applies the economic
approach to anything and everything! To me, what defines an economist --
armchair or otherwise -- is the willingness to apply the economist's way of
thinking to all kinds of empirical problems and puzzles and hopefully be
able to tell a plausible story with refutable and testible implications.