Title: Blank
The specific article ( Super Investors of Graham and Dodd'sville) I
mentioned gives the case study of five or six of Benjamin Graham's disciples
who have outperformed the market over a significantly long period of time.

While Buffett has hogged the limelight but there are many others, not as
well known, who come from the same intellectual school of investing and have
statistically outperformed the market over long period of time. To use your
own analogy, if six Micheal Jordans came to NBA from the same high school
and had similar averages clearly somebody needs to take notice and study why
such a disproportionate people have performed so stupendously.  I am not
sure if one can dismiss such evidence as a freak event.

If you take the entire market then many players attain sub-indice
performance. These I am sure will be the majority. However there are a few
(such as Buffett) who gain substantially at the expense of the majority.

If you measure this situation and ask the question does the majority under
the perform the index of just about match the index, the answer will be an
resounding and obvious yes.

 But the real question is whether there were any clustering in the
attributes of the minority who consistently beat the market. If there is a
strong clustering of attributes (they ate the same brand of corn flakes for
many many years or  went to the same school or followed the principles of
the same Guru of investing or whatever ...)  obviously then there is some
causal variable that may explain the phenomenon and it would not be
scientific to dismiss this clustering by taking the argument that majority
under performs the market anyway.

The real question is whether the hypothesis should be built on the
underperformance of the majority or on the outperformance of the minority
(if it is strongly clustered)

It is in this context that I would like you to look at the article which
takes the hypothesis of the strongly clustered minority to find out if
markets are efficient. I strongly suggest that those interested in this
field should at least read the article.

Regards

Koushik