If I want to buy shares in the 500 or so companies on the S&P 500, I'll be looking at
commissions of at least $3000, right (unless I have a commissionless trading account,
which requires a minimum balance of $500,000 or so)?  If I hold those stocks for 20
years without ever rebalancing, that's $150/year.  $150 divided by .2% is $75,000.
What if I don't happen to have $75,000?  Should I not invest in stocks at all until
I've raised that much money just so I can save on commissions and fees?

If I buy 10 stocks and hold them for 20 years, I might pay less in commissions and
management fees, but I'm much less diversified, right?

There is definitely a point at which mutual funds become less cost-effective than
buying individual stocks, but I'm pretty certain you need to have at least $1 million
dollars lying around in your stock portfolio for that to be true.

I've read in the Wall Street Journal that exchange-traded funds are a better deal than
index mutual funds if you have $30,000.  If you are able to accumulate $30,000 in cash
every month, then mutual funds don't make sense.  (That implies a disposable income of
at least $360,000 a year).  At lower amounts, mutual funds are by far the best choice
for convenience, cost, and diversification.

Are there any flaws in my reasoning here?

James