--- Francois-Rene Rideau <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
"Obviously, the government didn't forecast the
unpredictable path of discovery any more than the
"private sector". Non sequitur."

No.  I was using the story as neither a premise nor a
conclusion to an argument about funding sources.  It
seemed as though the discussion was starting to be
framed in terms of useful vs. useless science, and I
wanted to nip it in the bud with an interesting
example.

--- Gil Guillory <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
"Sorry so long."

I enjoy reading all the posts, even the long ones.

"I would also like to raise an objection to the
supposed distinction between basic and applied
research. This is, at best, a...continuum with a
fuziness akin to the economic distinction between
goods of the first order and goods of higher orders."

I feel like I'm in a Monty Python sketch.  Since I'm a
clumsy writer at best, I will accept defeat.  The
argument is much better presented in a chapter from
this list's namesake.  That's not an argument from
authority!  I'm just pointing to an interesting idea
to which I cannot do justice.

Best regards,
jsh

=====
"...for no one admits that he incurs an obligation to another merely because that
other has done him no wrong."
-Machiavelli, Discourses on Livy, Discourse 16.