>> But "controling for IQ" isn't warranted if years of schooling is
>> endogenous. Kevin Lang has written extensively about these issues. -
-

>Could you enlighten us?

Honestly no. I've tried to find Kevin's 1993 paper on this and to
reproduce his arguments, both to no avail. He has a neat little system
that makes sense of the standard human capital wage equation and allows
one to make simple sense of both discount rate and ability bias, but I
can't remember how it works. Never paid too much attention to it because
I strongly suspect that 1) people have almost no idea how much it will
be worth for them to continue in school, 2) most people's decisions
about schooling have to do with how much they like it vs. how much they
like whatever the alternative is (and are therefore fairly short
sighted), 3) 2) is heavily influenced by whether mom and dad are willing
to pay for you to go to school (or someone else is), and 4) whether mom
and dad are willing to pay depends on their own views about the return
to education and their bequest motive and has nothing to do with any
discount rate.
- - Bill Dickens

William T. Dickens
The Brookings Institution