William Dickens wrote:

> As I remember the standard neo-classical answer to this is that the main
> source of endogenaity isn't ability bias but discount rate bias - - that
> people with below average discount rates get more schooling.

I hadn't thought of that (or heard it).  Is there actually any evidence
on discount rates and educational attainment?  We both know there is a
lot of evidence on ability (IQ) and educational attainment.

High estimated returns to education are usually claimed to be evidence
of credit market imperfections.  It seems that the welfare implications
are quite different if the real problem is high discount rates.