Hey,
Since Brian isn't here to keep us in line, I decided
to change the subject heading to make it easy to
identify and delete if one so chooses.

--- Akilesh Ayyar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
"Hi there. I'm not sure where the Machiavelli quote
comes from, but are you sure he wasn't arguing, by a
kind of appeal to majority opinion, that there is no
debt to people who have done no wrong?"

Good question.  I almost panicked when I read it.  I'm
reading it from Niccolo Machiavelli, "The Discourses"
translated by Leslie J. Walker, Penguin Classics 1983.
 Page 154.  Let me reproduce the paragraph:

"In addition to the difficulty already mentioned [in a
state going from servitude to freedom] there is yet
another.  It is that the government of a state which
has become free evokes factions which are hostile, not
factions which are friendly.  To such hostile factions
will belong all those who held preferment under the
tyrannical government and grew fat on the riches of
its prince, since, now that they are deprived of these
emoluments, they cannot live contented, but are
compelled, each of them, to try to restore the tyranny
in order to regain their authority.  Nor, as I have
said, will such a government acquire supporters who
are friendly, because a self-governing state assigns
honours and reward only for honest and determinate
reasons, and, apart from this, rewards and honours no
one; and when one acquires honours or advantages which
appear to have been deserved, one does not acknowledge
any obligation towards those responsible for the
remuneration.  Furthermore, that common advantage
which results from a self-governing state is not
recognized by anybody so long as it is possessed - the
possibility of enjoying what one has, freely and
without incurring suspicion for instance, the
assurance that one's wife and children will be
respected, the absence of fear for oneself - for no
one admits that he incurs an obligation to another
merely because that other has done him no wrong."(Any
typos are my own.)

Since he asserts the existence of a common advantage
and that no one recognizes it, I think I did the
passage justice.  Would you agree?  I certainly don't
want to do violence to an author's work.

I've heard that Walker's translation isn't the best,
but I've not encountered any others.

Best regards,
jsh