Thanks again Henrick. I do see 3 bands, but not sure they are necessarily
clean/distinct.

<https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-yPngBXg2loA/Uqtcqi2z4YI/AAAAAAAAKWI/mcUOS0DWiyQ/s1600/2013-12-13_KB170B_BAF.png>

A similar but slightly noisier pattern is observed in the tumour sample. I
also down-sampled the data 50x to be able to see the patterns (vs a black
blob). Would you consider this as noise/a bad run?

Emilie

On Thursday, December 12, 2013 6:01:48 PM UTC-5, Henrik Bengtsson wrote:

> The tumor DH panel makes me believe that either your tumor or your normal
> chip data is bad, or  alternatively that the tumor and normal are not
> matched.
>
> Check the allele B fraction of your normal. It should show three distinct
> bands.  Do the same for the tumor. It should also show distinct bands with
> varying  of bands depending on aberrations.  If both look clean, then it's
> likely they're not matched.  If one is very noisy, then that one is simply
> a bad run/sample.
>
> Henrik
> On Dec 12, 2013 12:42 PM, "Emilie" <emilie....@gmail.com <javascript:>>
> wrote:
>
>> Thank you both very much! I was indeed referring to smooth.cna, sorry
>> about that confusion.
>>
>> I've switched over to PSCBS and used the dropSegmentationOutliers- it
>> seems to be running well. I've noticed that some of my samples have very
>> fragmented profiles (see attached). Does this suggest poor quality data, or
>> maybe an error in my normalization/plotting? Not all samples are like this,
>> but it almost seems like the order of the of the probes is scrambled?
>>

>> Emilie
>>

>> On Thursday, December 5, 2013 1:08:46 PM UTC-5, Henrik Bengtsson wrote:
>>>
>>> Pierre beat me to this one.  Comments below...

>>> DNAcopy/inst/doc/DNAcopy.pdf

>>> their
>>> toward

>>> "smoothing"
>>> signal
>>>  Sorry

>>> "dropSegmentationOutliers"

>>>  If
>>> is an
>>> allelic
>>>
>>> To balance this a little bit, I would say there may exist outliers in
>>> the total copy number (TCN) signals that are so sever that they bias
>>> the estimators/test statistic of CBS (which assumes Gaussian signals).
>>>  If one believes there are such outliers and worries that they are so
>>> extreme that they would affect the segmentation severely, one could
>>> either (i) drop or (ii) shrink ("smooth") them.  In the vignettes of
>>> the PSCBS package, I've last night [PSCBS (>= 0.39.8)]
>>> corrected/clarified Section 'Dropping TCN outliers' to say the
>>> following:
>>>
>>> "There may be some outliers among the TCNs.  In
>>> CBS~\citep{OlshenA_etal_2004,VenkatramanOlshen_2007}, the authors
>>> propose a method for identifying outliers and then to shrink such
>>> values toward their neighbors ("smooth") before performing
>>> segmentation.  At the time CBS was developed it made sense to not just
>>> to drop outliers because the resolution was low and every datapoint
>>> was valuable.  With modern technologies the resolution is much higher
>>> and we can afford dropping such outliers, which can be done by:

>>> Dropping TCN outliers is optional."
>>>
>>> Hope this clarifies.
>>>
>>> Back to the original question: It is not possible to drop (or smooth)
> [...]

---
"aroma.affymetrix" group.
to aroma-affymetrix+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.