ARSperl is a lot older than the - pretty recent - unicode support in AR
server. Because of this, ARSperl is not designed with unicode compatibility
in mind. It does not handle strings internally as unicode. See perldoc
perlunicode if you would like to see what it takes to make ARSperl handle
unicode properly.

I would suggest that if you need unicode capabilities, you should look into
the other integration possibilities such as the Java or C APIs.

--
Michiel Beijen
Software Consultant