Fellow Netters' Kj Deka's Letter to Sentinel of today.

Makes a good argument, doesn't he ? Man after my own heart :-).
cm

System  to be Blamed for Corruption?

Defined simply,  corruption is the misuse of public power for private
profit. I guess,  the human nature all over the world is essentially
the same and most  human beings will rob their country blind, given
half a chance.  Therefore, corruption is not the name of the third
world disease.

The Americans do it  on a grander scale but do it suavely. However,
it is an undeniable fact that the average citizen encounters more
petty corruption in  Assam than in any State of the USA. The
assumption that the problem of  corruption is solely tied to the coat
tails of moral character is,  perhaps, not true. If it is indeed the
case that the corruption is the  result of character flaws of the
Assamese people, then it must be  widely seen even when they are
removed from their native system of  governance. Strangely enough,
one does not find that the Assamese in  the USA, for instance, are
perceived to be especially corrupt. If  individuals with similar
backgrounds appear to act differently within two different systems,
would it not be proper to examine the  difference in the two systems
of governance, which may provide clues  to the understanding of the
difference in perceived corruption in  Assam and in any of the fifty
States of the USA? In my view, it is the  system of governance in
Assam that needs to be overhauled in order to  bring the degree of
corruption to the minimum. But then, why would  they kill the goose
that lays the golden egg of patronage and  kickbacks?

Kamaljit Deka
  Sugarland, Texas