Sent: Thursday, March 23, 2006 8:17 AM
Subject: Re: [Assam] HPI, March 20, 2006

Rajen-da rote whether Gita would have to be revised to remove casteist remarks - I do not recall any!! The only ones defining caste are in chapter 18 shlokas 41-44 -which are not basd on birth - but on gunas or a person's nature and work or deeds. Manusmriti does perhaps needs to be overhauled - by ading new commentaries etc.

umesh

Ram Sarangapani <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
A cursory reading of the VHP message is interesting. The fact they are urging the rejection of castes is a good thing. But their reasons " in the interest of consolidating Hindu unity to fight conversions and "Jehadi" terror." is passe.
The shadow of casteism must be erdicated from Hinduism. A good reason would be that all are treated equal within the religion. Of course, there are numerous social advantages.

>Does it mean they will revise the Gita, the Manusmriti and all those Hindu scirptures now?

I don't think they can (and nor are they claiming to). Whats written is written. Thats history. Hindus and Hinduism must be able to transcend the negatives in Manusmriti. The Old Testament (which has probably as many negatives in it) is not given much relevance by mainstream Christians for this very reason.

>Manusmroti was written around 1st or 2nd AD or before . It has nothing to do with Jehadi

While this is true, the VHP is probably thinking it needs to unite all Hindus against a possible "Jehadi" onsluaght on Hinduism. The VHP is probably trying to make political hay here. Nothing in the world of politics succeeds like dividing up people on caste, religion, language. And sadly, it may work.

--Ram

On 3/20/06, Rajen Barua <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Vishwa Hindu Parishad (VHP) and the Grama Koil Poojarigal Peravai has rejected varnashrama (system of four castes)

Does it mean they will revise the Gita, the Manusmriti and all those Hindu scirptures now?

>varnashrama dharma, supposedly written in Manusmrithi, in the interest of consolidating Hindu unity to fight conversions and "Jehadi" terror.
Why VHP is completely out of touch with History and wants to expose its ignorance?
Manusmroti was written around 1st or 2nd AD or before . It has nothing to do with Jehadi.
Wake up VHP.
Wake up Hindutva,
RB